Sunday, January 16, 2011


Marya and I invited some of our family over for a champagne tasting at the solstice. We printed a small booklet to hand out. A lot of work, but it turned out well, despite a number of mistakes.

The booklet's composed of 2 sections sewn together, wrapped in a translucent piece of gold-speckled paper. Here's the front cover, with the title showing through the translucent wrapper.

Here's the cover page with the wrapper peeled open.

Here's the half title.

Here's the title page. Note this section is sewn here. Indeed, the whole booklet was designed around the spread. The words are printed in gold, the illustration is printed in brown, and the star is in gold leaf. In retrospect, I think it was a mistake to mix the gold ink and the gold leaf on the same page.

It was all printed from polymer plates, our first attempt. Worked out well. The text was set using InDesign, in Adobe's Garamond Premier.

The leaves are each 6x9 inches. We printed 10x13" sheets, 2 pages on each side, then folded and sewed the sections together, and finally trimmed them to size. It would be difficult to print anything much larger on our press.

The pages are layed out with classical margins and turned out pretty well, I think. We spent a lot of effort ensuring that the different sides backed out well and mostly got 'em right.

We had several pages dedicated to "tasting notes." We designed the booklet so that a single polymer plate could be used to print all the tasting notes.

The colophon is printed on the inside of the back cover.


  1. You did this on your Poco? It is quite lovely! I have a Potter#2 and hope to be able to create something equally lovely soon.

  2. Yes, this was a Poco project. Defects are definitely due to the printer (me!), not the press. I'm sure you'll be able to do as well with your Potter.

  3. Beautiful!! I'm really impressed! Did you set type or use polymer?

  4. It was all done with polymer plates. Marya drew the birds and we scanned the drawing. The rest I set using Adobe's InDesign.

  5. Vey classy! A truly elegant soirée

  6. I printed polymer on a large boxcar base and made inking bearers out of strips of leading double stick taped together. I made minor adjustments to height by adding a layer of packing tape with the nylon strips in it. I made a little toe hold on one side of the boxcar base and put a weight on the other end of the bearers each time I printed. I made them long so each end stayed clean. It worked like a dream.

  7. We laid out roller bearers as part of the polymer plate (just a pair of rectangles, 1/4" wide and long enough to match the base). I tuned the thickness like you, with a few layers of plastic tape, and made them long enough that they hung off the ends of the base, making it easy to remove them after inking. Seemed to work fine.